This is probably the most recognized building of all Long Island asylums, but not the largest (nearby Edgewood Hospital
towered 170 feet high), building 93 is a magnificent relic of asylum architecture. Built in 1939, this twelve story building was used as a geriatric infirmary and drug treatment. Despite it's height, the structure has a very small footprint, to allow every room and hallway access to sunlight.
The bed-ridden patients were placed on the top floors, and the more physically abled lived on the lower floors. The reason for this is because the building is stepped outwards on the bottom floors, creating dayrooms for patients to excercise in if they were able-bodied enough. When the hospital began its mass release of patients in the 70's and 80's, the upper floors were closed, and the abandonment slowly worked its way down until everyone was gone in 1996.
Because of it's popularity, 93 is the most vandalized, and a tall fence has been put up around the building in 2001. But you can still find artifacts from the patients and staff throughout the many wards.