My wife and I know a couple who lived in an apartment complex where, unknown to them, the crawlspace above the 2nd floor ceilings was completely full of toxic mold. After living there for many years, ( 10, I think) and raising their kids there, the whole family ( as well as their neighbors from the rest of the place) had developed serious health issues. Among them were frequent headaches and cold symptoms, but more seriously were lung issues, major (seemingly permanent) allergies, and various depressions and general gloominess.
Once the mold was discovered, it was clear that it was behind the health issues for dozens of the tenants there. The shower vents in every apartment were not vented to the outside, but up into this crawlspace - it had grown into a giant petri-dish of black mold and bacteria, that everyone there was exposed to for years. Before a substantial case against the owners could be put together, all the residents were told to get out and the apartments were torn down fast - an obvious attempt to stay out of trouble, that actually worked
. They had no legal recourse and were unable to fight for compensation in court over what was literally years long exposure
to poisonous mold due to improper design of the vent systems at this complex.
Just wanted to share a story about mold exposure that might help scare you into getting new furniture! That stuff is NOT good to breathe, so be careful...!